Process Safety Engineer IV (Fire Protection)
Location: Houston, TX I Direct Hire
• Performs complex assignments and applies standards correctly without supervision. Clearly identifies how changes to design affect internal and external to discipline.
• Leads a mid to large sized project or proposal. Has developed critical skills to apply codes and standard requirements for safety to design and communicates requirements to others.
• Develops and leads others in ways of improving the design and lowering costs. Successfully manage several different assignments simultaneously. Begins to apply new techniques/technologies to improve processes and business results. Values diversity in thinking and actions.
• Effectively develop standards, philosophies, procedures, and design. Serves as a resource to less experienced engineers, reviews the application of standards for interpretation, ability to lead projects in the application of codes, standards, and common industry practices.
• Leads team to identify changes in the scope of work during a mid to large sized project. Produces engineering design changes as needed to stay within budget and schedule. Able to sell self and ideas. Leads people to seek for understanding others' point of view.
• Leads quality checks of the engineering and design of a mid to large sized project to ensure accuracy.
• Presents information/ideas to individuals or groups in an articulate and organized way, appropriate to the audience, and under a wide range of communication situations. Prioritizes time to meet team commitments and individual work requirements. Most work is conducted without the need for supervision.
• Develops Facility Hazards Analysis for OGC facilities and comes up with safety requirements. These requirements will be used by other disciplines to perform detailed engineering.
• Develops Electrical Area Classification Schedules, intent and minimum requirements for fire/gas/toxic detection and shutdown, Safety shower and eyewash location, safety sign and escape route development, minimum fire water requirements and fireproofing requirements.
• Serves as technical resource to other teams and disciplines in matters of HSE and fire protection.
• Lead interdisciplinary coordination among project teams to ensure the quality of the design, installation, and operation of the fire protection systems.
• For proposals responsible to lead the estimating effort for all aspects of HSE by either self-developed estimates or gather from other team members.
• BS in Chemical or Fire Protection Engineering
• Professional Engineer (P.E.) is preferred
• 10+ years relevant experience in refining, petrochemical and LNG plant processes
• Process Safety and Fire Protection experience strongly preferred
• 3+ years of professional experience in the OGC market required
• 3+ years of EPC experience preferred
• Must have experience working in a lead role on projects
• Deep knowledge of relevant regulations API, NFPA, and other industry standards.
• Good understanding of how different hazard detection, prevention, and mitigation work together and applies to design the best possible solution for the project.
• Self-directs work when given assignment with limited interaction of supervisor. Demonstrated capability of leading a small team to complete task/design. Train and lead less experienced team members.
• Communicates effectively with supervisor and members of immediate department.
• Works collaboratively across departments and involves others in solving problems.
• Serves as a technical resource to engineers and designers, works well with others to accomplish common goals and objectives, fosters an environment that emphasizes collaboration and coordination.
• Plans work of others to accomplish objectives and maintains group deliverables. Continuously improves efficiency and performance.