Process Safety Engineer III
Location: Houston, TX I Direct Hire
• Compliance of process system design with established corporate, company, client, government and national consensus standards and specifications in the area of process safety – this includes guidance for other disciplines as it relates to proposed technical solutions and plant design.
• Applying expertise in risk assessment and compliance to the performance of process safety reviews in accordance with governing regulations using techniques such as Hazard and Operability Studies (HAZOP), What-If Studies, and What-If/Checklist Studies.
• Experience conducting of SIL or LOPA reviews in a multidisciplinary team for determination of required Safety Integrity Levels (SIL).
• Perform SIL verification calculations in accordance with consensus standards such as ISA 84.00.01 and IEC 61511.
• Experience in performing Reliability, Availability, and Maintainability (RAM) analysis.
• Determination of the safety distances for the plant layout based on qualitative or quantitative risk analysis (e.g. consequence analysis) and assurance of compliance with customer requirements and governing regulations.
• Supporting development and continuous improvement of company process safety standards and specifications to promote understanding of and compliance with process safety requirements by project teams.
• Documenting action items and coordinating company responses to ensure prompt closure, where appropriate. May include report development, action item tracking, or development of closure strategies for action items depending on client and project needs. Promoting process safety within the organization.
• Fostering a cooperative environment between organizational entities on process safety issues.
• BS in Chemical Engineering (Master's degree preferred)
• Functional Safety Practitioner level certification strongly preferred
• Professional Engineer (P.E.) preferred
• 8-10 years relevant work experience in refining and petrochemical plant processes
• Process Safety and Fire Protection experience strongly preferred
• 3+ years of professional experience in the OGC market required
• 3+ years of EPC experience preferred
• Must have experience working in a lead role on projects
• Receives little to no instruction on routine work and detailed instruction on new assignments from more experienced Engineers. Receives guidance on high risk or advanced conditions.
• Can provides guidance to less experienced engineers.
• Adjusts to varying demands of work and performs well.
• Develops and presents work in well-constructed written and verbal presentations. Clearly conveys messages and ideas, gains understanding.
• Works collaboratively across departments and involves others in solving problems. Initiates meetings within own team, other disciplines or internal customers for clarity on work.
• Supports project teams and departments in a positive and productive manner. Works well with others to accomplish common goals and objectives.
• Serves as point of contact for external or internal customers.
• Follows through on commitments made to internal and external customers.
• Able to manage multiple responsibilities with set expectations and meet deadlines.
• Able to specify actions to take when standards or contract requirements are not met.
• Effective conflict management skills, both technically and interpersonal
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment, exposure to project execution in global work share teams as well as international vendors
• Effective analytical and problem-solving skills including a background in problem-solving techniques
• Deep knowledge of relevant regulations API, NFPA, IEC/ISA and other industry standards